One of the most critical factors in weight loss is staying hydrated, but it can be pretty hard to get your full water intake throughout the day (especially when life gets a little hectic). It is recommended that men drink around 15 cups of water a day (3.7 liters), and women drink about 11 cups a day (2.7 liters). While that may seem like a lot of water, it is entirely possible to get your water intake AND juggle a busy day. Keep reading for our tips on drinking more water!
Pick the Right Bottle
Having the right water bottle is key for keeping up with your intake. The wrong bottle can make it harder for you to drink throughout the day and keep you less motivated. If you prefer your water icy cold or nice and warm, go for a thermos to keep your water at your preferred temperature! If you like being able to quickly and easily take sips throughout the day, go for a bottle with a spout or straw! Bottles with a screw-on top may make it challenging to take sips throughout the day but are great for those that take big gups or drink most of their water during meals. Picking the right bottle for you can make it much easier to get your goal intake!
Make it a Task
Nobody sets “drink water” as a task (unless it truly works for you), so a good alternative is to pair drinking water with other tasks! For example, if you finished doing the dishes, take a few big gulps of water. If you do this more often, it will become second nature to drink water after completing a task. Just as we make sure to drink water after a workout, drinking water after doing everyday tasks is an excellent way of getting more water intake. This method works great for busy individuals with long to-do lists!
Have a Set Schedule
Setting specific times to drink water can also help place some structured hydration into your schedule. Drinking a glass of water when you wake up is a great way to start your morning (it’s also proven to help you wake up feeling fresher). Drinking a glass of water before meals also helps with portion control and overeating! If you struggle with unhealthy snacking (especially during certain times of the day), drinking a glass of water was found to curb those cravings and keep you hydrated.
Eat Foods Packed With Water
Many foods are packed with water and can help you reach your goal intake! These foods can’t keep you hydrated alone, but they’re great for supplementation, especially if you want to stay hydrated AND keep your hunger at bay. Here are some foods with high water contents:
- Watermelon: With 92% water, this snack is not only refreshing but also very low in calories and high in water, making it the perfect guilt-free snack!
- Strawberries: This fruit has 91% water and is packed with fiber, antioxidants, vitamin C, and folate!
- Cantaloupe: This fruit has 90% water and is packed with fiber. It’s the perfect snack for keeping you full and hydrated!
- Cucumber: With 95% water, this low-calorie snack is great for munching on! It goes well with a variety of different snack options and is easy to pack.
- Coconut water: Naturally, coconut water is 95% water and is a tasty alternative to plain water. Coconut water is packed with electrolytes to help your body stay hydrated! It’s a much healthier option than sports drinks, which tend to be high in sugar.
Drinking water is essential to weight loss, especially during these summer months. With these tips, you can battle dehydration while still managing a busy schedule!